Thursday, January 27, 2011

Heavenly Vegan Eggs-Free Benedict
















Since finding an awesome Veg-friendly restaurant in Providence, RI called “Julian’s”, where I have had the most amazing Vegan Eggs Benedict, I have been on a hunt to make a great vegan hollandaise sauce at home. I have used a recipe in the past that called for vegan sour cream as a base, but it didn’t taste authentic…more like a creamy cheese sauce. Not bad but not like the beautiful sauce at Julian’s.

After playing around and combining several recipes that I found on the web, THIS IS IT! In fact, I loved it so much, that the first time I made it, I didn’t even wait to photograph it! I had to make it again for my husband so I could take pictures.
It might seem like a lot of work at first, but like most of the recipes I post, once you make them they are pretty simple to recreate.

This sauce would be great over asparagus too!

Let me know what you think.
Enjoy!
Pam

Heavenly Vegan Eggs-Free Benedict

Step 1: Vegan Hollandaise Sauce

2 tablespoons vegan margarine. I use Earth Balance
3/4 cup + 1/4 cup unflavored nondairy milk, divided, I used Soy Milk
1/8 cup or less lemon juice
1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
teaspoon sea salt and pepper to taste
dash cayenne pepper
dash dry mustard
2 dashes turmeric
1 tablespoon cornstarch

In a small sauce pan, melt 2 tablespoons margarine. Stir in 3/4 cup nondairy milk, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, sea salt, pepper, cayenne, dry mustard, and turmeric. Simmer. Mix the tablespoon of cornstarch with the soy milk you had set aside until all lumps are gone. Add this mixture to the sauce, and bring to boil. Keep stirring consistently as sauce will thicken quickly. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.

Step 2: Tofu Poached “egg”
So easy and versatile!

Any firm Tofu (I use Sprouted Tofu)
Nutritional Yeast
Sea Salt and Pepper to Taste
Shoyu (Wheat Free Soy Sauce)

Drain and pat the tofu dry. Cut a small chunk off, the size is personal preference. Mine is usually about ¾” thick by the width of your tofu block.

Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of Nutritional Yeast on a plate or shallow bowl. Add Sea Salt and Pepper to taste and mix. Gently press all sides of the cut tofu blocks into the powdery mix.

Heat your oil of choice in a small frying pan. Carefully place coated tofu blocks in the heated oil and brown on both sides. They tend to splatter. When they are almost don, drizzle a few drops of Shoyu on the tops. Drain on a paper towel, if need be.



















Step 3: Some Add-on Ideas

Sauted spinach
Vegan “meat” – Canadian bacon, sausage
Tomato

Step 4: Assemble

Toast your choice of bread or English muffin
Layer your add-ons, tofu egg and drizzle (or if you are like me, pour) Hollandaise on top
Devour!



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The biggest inspiration for my version of Vegan Hollandaise: http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=32284.0 submitted by oliviabeans

2 comments:

  1. For the fun of it cut the tofu with a biscuit cutter and it willb be small rounds like poached eggs :) Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea!

    I think there is also a way to actually use the poached egg pans...that have a little well... so they will look like a dome,like a real poached egg.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!