It was super simple to veganize this old favorite with just a few substitutions. This is ideal to bring to a party that has both veggies and non-veggies, as no one will EVER know it is animal friendly!
As with most whole food recipes, this is just a guideline to get you started. It is completely flexible and customizable to specific tastes, diets and available ingredients.
Mexican Madness Vegan Layered Dip
1 Can of refried beans (I use refried black beans)
1 Can whole beans ( I like whole black beans)
1 tub of vegan sour cream
1 packet of taco seasoning
about 1 cup of your favorite salsa
1 tomato, chopped
about 1 or 2 cups of vegan shredded cheese
Chopped black and green olives
Avocado or guacamole (drizzle lime juice on chopped avocado to keep it from turning brown)
Chilies or jalapeno peppers
* In a small bowl mix the vegan sour cream with about half the packet of taco seasoning. It is best to start with less and add to it, based on personal taste. Set aside.
* Rinse the whole beans and then in a separate bowl mash them with a fork
* Add the cup of salsa and the refried beans to the mashed beans and mix together
* Spread the bean mixture evenly along the bottom of a shallow casserole dish or pretty bowl
* Pour the sour cream mixture over the bean mixture and carefully spread to cover
* note - if you are adding guacamole, you can refrigerate the dip base a little to firm it up and then spread the guac right over the sour cream layer
* Then just sprinkle your favorite optional toppings on top and you’re done
Cover and refrigerate until it’s time to enjoy!
You can serve this with chips, small tortillas, veggies, etc…