Friday, July 2, 2010

Egg Free, Wheat Free and Soy Free French Toast Recipe


There isn't only one way to do things...
that is a statement that is so easy for me to forget.

My son and I have known about our various food allergies for over a year now and this entire time, I just assumed that french toast was off of our "safe" food list.

After all, how on earth do you make french toast without eggs? That is one of the main ingredients.

I briefly entertained the idea of using our egg replacer but it didn't feel right...not natural.

Last night I decided to try and find some recipes for my family that would give us more options as we move towards healthier choices.
Anyway, I found a recipe for vegan french toast but it had flour and soy...we cant eat wheat and I have a sensitivity to soy. Since discovering these allergies I have become much more adventurous with cooking and preparing food, so this morning I made an altered version of the french toast.

OMG!
It was amazing! It even looked like conventional french toast...
don't you think?
Being a visual person, that is very important to me.

Try my altered recipe below and let me know what you think.
I would love to hear your additions and substitutions as well.

Enjoy!

 Freedom French Toast

1/2 - 1 cup of plain rice milk
5 Tablespoons non-wheat flour
3 Teaspoons of organic sugar or agave syrup
1 Tablespoon Vanilla extract
1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
Wheat and egg free bread slices (We use Ener-G Foods brand)

Mix 1/2 cup of rice milk, flour, vanilla, cinnamon and sugar in a shallow bowl.
Add more rice milk as needed to create a loose batter.
Dip your bread slices in the mixture coating both sides.
I use Earth Balance to grease the grill.
Fry until crispy and golden brown.
(As these cook, the aroma is heavenly)

We ate them with pure maple syrup but you could get creative...
drizzle agave syrup or top with fresh berries

2 comments:

  1. Tried them just now, I used palm oil shortening because my daughter can't have the Earth Balance and put a little guar gum in as well. Oh, and for flour I used Cybele Pascal's all purpose mix. I may adjust next time to include some banana in the mix perhaps, my 23 month old really likes them and I think they add some variety for us which is nice. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hsw....I am so glad you liked them!

    Thank you for taking the time to post your details. Bananas sound really good. My son is allergic to them but I could try it.

    Does that flour you used have wheat?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!